War Child works with children who, as a result of conflict, live with a combination of poverty, exclusion and insecurity. These children might include street children, child headed households, children conscripted into armed groups, and children who have been put in prison. Our mission is to support and improve the care and protection of children and young people who live with a combination of insecurity, poverty and exclusion in some of the worse conflict-affected places. We look forward to a world in which the lives of children are no longer torn apart by war. This is a vision that can only be realised through the collective actions of children themselves, communities and their leaders, organisations like War Child, governments and key decision makers.
Purpose of Post:
Over the next five years War Child will develop its organisational capability to benefit, directly and indirectly, 10% of the most marginalised children, living in ten of the worst conflict affected countries in the world. War Child will campaign to persuade decision makers to begin allocating the level of financial and political commitment needed to reduce the number of children dying and suffering from the effects of war. We will harness the credibility and learning from the increased scale of our programmes work to make a significant contribution to the conditions, in which others are encouraged, enabled and compelled to benefit those children marginalised by conflict that War Child is unable to help directly.
The Corporate Partnerships and Music Events Volunteer is crucial for our award-winning, Fundraising Division. You will provide vital support to help us develop and deliver exciting music events as well as securing and managing Corporate Partnerships. The role will enable you to gain a broad range of experience such as prospect research, client management and event logistics. You will also be required to provide administrative support to other fundraising functions such as Individual Giving and Philanthropy with the ultimate goal of helping War Child raise money to support children living in conflict zones.
A) Job Specification: Task and responsibilites:
1.2. Key Responsibilities
- Provide support in account managing War Child’s corporate partnerships
- Assist Music & Entertainment team in delivering successful events
- Monitor company and sector news using War Child’s prospect researching tool
- Utilise War Child’s fundraising database as a relationship management tool as well as recording and monitoring income
- Help the fundraising department prepare for proposals, meetings and pitches
- Represent War Child over the phone and at fundraising and stewardship events
- Represent Music & Entertainment team at War Child events (may require working some evenings and weekends)
- Help in the planning of War Child events in 2016/17 such as music and comedy gigs, trading day fundraisers and a Christmas gala dinner
- Administrative support to other fundraising teams including Philanthropy and Individual Giving
2.1. Corporate Fundraising
- Support Corporate Partnerships Manager to maximise income from existing partners
- Support in the development of new partnerships including research and proposals
- Build excellent working relationships with teams and individuals who help to deliver War Child’s corporate partnerships both internally and externally
- Support at corporate events as required
- Maintain information on corporate contacts and organisations on War Child’s fundraising database
- Use War Child prospect researching tool to update team on company and sector news
2.2 Music & Entertainment
- Provide day to day support for the Music & Entertainment team
- Represent the Music & Entertainment team at War Child events
- Help in the planning and implementation of War Child events in 2016/17 such as the Winter Wassail and Passport to BRITs Week
- Help plan and implement newly developed War Child fundraising concepts within entertainment.
2.3 Fundraising Department Support
- Provide support to the Individual Giving and Philanthropy teams when needed
- Process donations and maintain accurate records using the fundraising Database
- Support at challenge events such as Royal Parks Half Marathon
- Provide stewardship to online supporters from JustGiving and Virgin Money Giving
- Send materials to community and challenge event fundraisers
- Write thank you letters to donors and supporters
- Respond to donor requests via email, post or phone
B) Person specification – Essential Criteria:
War Child’s office is a lively and fast-paced environment made up of a team of extremely dedicated staff & volunteers. We’re looking for someone who can fit in well and bring their personality, creativity and professionalism to our communications and the wider charity.
- Right to work in the UK (for UK based roles)
- Conducting desk research
- Excellent written and verbal communicator
- Some understanding of charity fundraising mechanisms
- Confident to work independently
- Relationship development
- Attention to detail
- Ability to effectively organise and prioritise your own workload
- Ability to follow direction and report on progress to line manager
- Passion for music & entertainment
- Demonstrate a flexible attitude to working, including occasional evening and weekend work
- IT literate with good knowledge of Microsoft Office and databases
- Involvement on a marketing or fundraising project
- Involvement in music event management
- Experience of using/managing relationship databases
- Experience of managing own projects
- An understanding of or experience of delivering fundraising events
- Interest/knowledge of the charity sector
- Working some evenings and weekends may be required (time off in lieu offered)
- This role will be a 4-6-months placement, working 5 days a week
- This is a voluntary position, with lunch and travel costs provided (for travel within zones 1-6 of London Underground)
- Start Date: As soon as possible
- Please send your CV and a brief covering letter which outlines how you meet the person specification to Liz Smalley, Corporate Account Manager on email@example.com by 27th November 2016.
- Due to limited resources, only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Shortlisted candidates will be asked to complete a short written exercise as part of the interview assessment.
- Any offer made post the interview will be conditional on receipt of 3 favourable written references, (from your most recent employer, any other previous employer and a character reference). War Child reserves the right to call the referees, in case clarification is required post the receipt of complete reference forms.
- The successful applicant will be expected to undergo a DBS Police check and/or international police check, be compliant and sign up to War Child’s Child Safeguarding Policy prior to a final offer being made.