The finalists for Midemlab 2014 have been announced.
The international competition sees start-ups and app developers pitch ideas designed to drive the music industry forwards.
Presented by Pepsi and Vivendi, the 2014 Midemlab finalists – chosen by UK digital consulting company Music Ally and French specialist open innovation consultancy, bluenove – will present their business models to an international jury of leading entertainment executives, venture capitalists, entrepreneurs and incubators.
One winner will be selected by the jury in each of the three following categories – music discovery, recommendation and creation; marketing & social engagement; direct-to-consumer sales and content monetisation. There will be also a fourth winner nominated by Vivendi and chosen from across all categories. The Vivendi ‘Coup de Coeur’ winner will be awarded by a jury of Vivendi and Universal Music Group senior management and will be given access to the group’s subsidiaries. The winners will be announced during a special awards ceremony at Midem.
All 2014 finalists will benefit from feedback from experienced music industry decision makers and meet with potential business partners and investors. They will also receive exposure to the international media and an industry audience.
Finalists will also gain insight into how to make their services even better adapted for the entertainment industry, and can capitalise on personalised coaching from globally-recognised mentors brought in by Pepsi to help prepare their pitches.
Previous finalist and Vivendi “Coup de Coeur” winner 2012, Urturn, a London-based online social platform, raised $13.4 million led by Balderton Capital in the wake of presenting its company at Midemlab.
“Midem works for businesses because you’re making very real connections,” said Vincent Borel, co-founder of Urturn, a music-loving platform best described as a viral meme generator.
The Midemlab 2014 finalists are:
Music discovery, Recommendation and Creation
- Blitzr (France) - Metadata-driven music platform & services
- Cubic.fm (Turkey) - Social music discovery platform
- Indiloop (Canada) – Cloud-based mash up software
- Jukely (USA) - Matchmaker for concerts and friends
- Moodsnap (USA) - Image-based music discovery app
- Music Gateway (UK) - Unique music Industry business platform
- Muzieo (USA) - Mobile-based music discovery service
- Nagual Sounds (Germany) - New interactive musical experience
- Sound Wand (UK) - Musical instrument of the future
- Soundwave (Ireland) - Your music world
Marketing & Social Engagement
- Feature.fm by EQuala.fm (USA) - Music promotion network
- FanPic by Huggity (Ireland) - Engaging fans beyond the event
- Hello Stage (Austria) – Classical music community
- Lalilala by Appiway (France) - Singing challenges between friends
- LISNR (USA) - Dynamic Audio Content Delivery Platform
- Noise Fish (UK) - Online Home of the Music Industry
- Rushmore (UK) - Platform connecting artists with fans
- Starlize by Mobile Motion (Germany) - Mobile Music Video Creation
- Tunespeak (USA) - Musician-to-fan loyalty platform
- Vidrack (Canada) - Video Camera on Your Website
Direct-to-consumer Sales and Content Monetization
- 3Plet (Estonia) - Music album as an app
- 10tracks (Russia) - Cloud storage for music collections
- BandstandMobile (Ireland) - Artist -To- Fan App Development
- Capsule.fm (Germany) - Making your online content audible
- Kicktone (Australia) - Social Music Discovery
- Metable (UK) - Metadata and Asset Management Platform
- Pulpix (France) - Exclusive showcase online services
- Screenburn (UK) - Facebook video on demand platform
- Songspot (France) - Social jukebox app
- Weezic (France) - Augmented Sheet Music