Contractual Hours: 40 hours per week, 09:00 – 18:00 Monday to Friday
About BIMM Institute
BIMM, The British and Irish Modern Music Institute, has colleges in eight cities where music matters most – London, Berlin, Dublin, Brighton, Manchester, Bristol, Hamburg and Birmingham – and is proud to be the largest and leading provider of contemporary music education in Europe.
Our eight BIMM colleges have over 50 years’ experience between them in helping students launch successful careers in the music industry.
We offer a broad range of Higher and Further Education music courses – including BA Honours Degrees, nationally accredited Diplomas and Postgraduate Teaching Certificates. Our professional highly vocational and real-world courses include studies in guitar, bass, drums, vocals, song writing, music production, music business, music journalism and event management.
- An experienced, energetic and highly motivated individual, with a strong background in facilities management who will have the knowledge and expertise to support the College Manager in ensuring that the building, facilities and specialist music equipment that make up the BIMM Institute Hamburg are fully functioning, safe and fit for purpose.
- The successful candidate will have IT support service skills who is able to also complete tasks to support the BIMM IT team in implementing new features and support the general day to day college IT environment for staff and students.
- The successful candidate will be a team player who is used to working to tight deadlines and dedicated to maintaining an environment where staff and students alike can meet exacting standards of educational excellence.
Essential criteria for applicant
- Fluent in German and English
- Good time management and prioritising skills
- Knowledge of musical instruments
- Knowledge of studio recording equipment
- Experience supporting Apple OSX
- Experience supporting DAW’s Ableton, Protools & Logic
- Experience of supporting Windows 7 and Microsoft office applications
- Health and Safety awareness
- Full clean Driving License
- Ability to plan and supervise Planned Preventative Maintenance
- Deal with emergency repairs efficiently
- Interest in music and thorough understanding of the industry
Desirable criteria for applicant
- Knowledge of timetabling software (Celcat)
- Knowledge of First aid
- Knowledge of Fire warden responsibilities.
- A Music or Music Technology related qualification
- 1st line or 2nd line experience within a technical role ideally within the HE sector, but not essential
- Technical qualifications would be helpful but not essential, full training will be provided
- Live sound experience
Estates – General
a) Managing student behavior both on site and off site and in the immediate environs of the college.
b) Logging and reporting building faults.
c) Working with BIMM Group Estates Manager to implement a suitable rolling programme of repairs, improvements and refurbishments.
d) Day-to-day line management of term time facilities assistants.
e) Working with the Head of Education to ensure all planned activity is recorded on central timetabling database.
Estates – Equipment
a) Ensuring that all teaching rooms are laid out correctly and have the requested and necessary equipment to allow the smooth running of the day’s lessons.
b) Being reactive to the tutor’s equipment requirements to help ensure excellence of teaching delivery.
c) Checking equipment regularly to ensure all is perfectly safe and in good working order.
d) Maintaining the equipment asset list for the relevant BIMM site and reporting equipment faults promptly to the relevant course leader.
e) Arranging for the servicing and repairing of equipment with the Manager’s approval.
a) Checking that the building is clean and tidy before the arrival of staff and students, and ensuring the environment is monitored throughout the day.
b) Checking that the contract cleaner’s work is carried out to an acceptable standard and reporting any issues arising to the College Manager and BIMM Group Estates Manager.
c) Monitoring the cleanliness of the toilets and reporting any plumbing or sanitation problems immediately to the BIMM Group Estates Manager
d) Emptying the bins and vacuuming the reception, if necessary, on the days when the cleaners are not contracted to come in.
e) Ensuring that the landscaped area and parking directly outside of the entrance to BIMM is generally clean and litter free.
IT and Communications
- To provide 1st line support to all staff in the respective college and escalate calls where necessary to Brighton IT support.
- To ensure that all BIMM infrastructure services including network connectivity, phone and wireless service issues along with core software services are escalated to the relevant parties within a suitable time frame.
- To set-up college staff on the desk-tops, laptops, phones and MACs
- To actively use and review the BIMM IT Helpdesk log to ensure that all college issues are logged and prioritised
- To manage all college technical assets and to liaise with BIMM Finance on asset purchase, location and disposal
- To perform local IT tasks related to project or service affecting work (eg network line failover procedures)
- To maintain local records of user signed IT Policies and Acceptable Usage Policy
To where necessary be available to travel between colleges to attend meetings
Maintenance of Recording Studios and Mac Suite
a) Monitoring the functionality and condition of all studio and Mac suite equipment to ensure full functionality, and to report any known faults or issues promptly.
b) Assist students and staff with technical issues promptly and effectively to ensure continued operation of the facilities.
a) Working with the College Manager to train tutors regarding BIMM Hamburg security policy
b) Ensuring that all site users adhere to BIMM Hamburg Security policy, as stated in Student and Tutor manuals
c) Reporting non-compliance to the College Manager
d) As the last person on site each day the post holder will be a key holder and be responsible for the setting and deactivating of the security alarm. It will also be the post holder’s responsibility to ensure that the building is secure prior to the alarm being set at night:
• Check that all windows are closed
• Check that all doors are locked
• Check that all equipment is secure and switched off
• Check that all lights are off and that the air conditioning system is switched off
e) The post holder will also be responsible for checking that the displayed guitars and basses are alarmed.
Health and Safety
a) Being fully aware of all BIMM’s Health and Safety regulations and maintaining constant vigilance that these are adhered to by staff and students.
b) Working with the BIMM Group Estates Manager in the preparation of risk assessment paperwork and keeping H&S testing programme (fire alarm, fire extinguishers, fire evacuation, etc.) up to date.
c) Assisting in the training of tutors and staff where necessary about BIMM Health and Safety policy.
d) Reporting non-compliance to the BIMM Group Estates Manager and College Manager.
a) Being responsive to the Head of Education, Course Leaders, Events and Student Services teams to ensure all curricular and extra-curricular (including in-house rehearsals, gig auditions, showcases, etc.) student activity is managed effectively for the optimum student experience.
b) Assisting the BIMM Group Estates Manager and College Manager as required.
NB: This is not a complete statement of all duties and responsibilities of this post. The post holder may be required to carry out other duties in keeping with the nature of the post as directed by, and agreed with their Line Manager.