Music Week is the leading music business publication in the UK and Europe. It produces a weekly magazine, a breaking news website, a number of digital newsletters and properties and a series of awards ceremonies and events. It sets the news agenda for the UK music industry and is increasingly influential internationally. It has a highly-experienced editorial team based in London, consisting of the Editor, Deputy Editor, News Editor, Charts & Data Editor and two staff writers. Over its 60-year history, Music Week has consistently led the way in news, analysis and thought leadership for the music business and is read by anyone who is anyone within the international music industry, from hotshot A&Rs to veteran CEOs. With the music business becoming increasingly global, the US Editor will drive our coverage and represent the brand in the world’s No.1 music market and ensure we are as well-read and influential in Los Angeles and New York as we are in London and Manchester. S/he will support our news-gathering and feature writing across all of our platforms, in consultation with the London team.
Job Summary & Purpose
The US Editor position is being created to help Music Week capitalise on the international opportunities for the brand. The US editor will be responsible for contributing a number of US-focused stories across print, online and our newsletters each week, with a view to securing increased online traffic, magazine/digital subscriptions and advertising from the US industry. S/he will be expected to generate daily breaking news stories, magazine features and represent Music Week at US events. S/he will be expected to forge contacts with all key players within the US industry and establish Music Week as the go-to brand for the industry that it already is in the UK.
Key role responsibilities
- Generate daily online news stories and weekly magazine stories for Music Week, musicweek.com and our daily Morning Briefing newsletter.
- Represent Music Week at US events and raise awareness of the brand amongst the US industry.
- Help to oversee the production of US-focused magazine pages and the US edition, in conjunction with the UK team
- Work with the Music Week editor and the rest of the UK team on the general strategy of the brand, with particular attention on the US.
Essential skills and experience
- At least five years experience in music business journalism
- A comprehensive knowledge of music and the music industry, and widespread contacts across every sector of the US music business.
- Excellent interviewing, op-ed and analysis skills; the ability to write entertaining copy under tight deadlines; the ability to break news and hunt down off-diary stories that will make an impact across the music industry.
How to Apply
Please include three US Music business story ideas and details of how they would be covered across multiple Music Week platforms.